Matsuo has untidy black hair, prominent lips, and a vertical scar passing through his right eye. He wears a green striped collared shirt, a black jacket, dark pants, and a black belt that holds a large number of capsules.
Matsuo usually has an eerily calm demeanour, but he can get very dramatic when provoked. People around him tend to find him creepy. He keeps evil spirits as pets and names them cute things like "Cookie-chan".
7th Division Arc
In Matsuo's first appearance, he confronted Dimple and tried to defeat him with his pet spirits. Matsuo fell for Dimple's clever ruse, but after revealing that he was carrying at least 10 evil spirits, he defeated Dimple and trapped him in a container with other ravenous ghosts.
Later, he attempted to attack Mob and Reigen with five evil spirits, which Mob exorcised immediately, and the especially strong evil spirit Candy-chan, which was eventually exorcised by Reigen. In the end, Matsuo was defeated by Dimple in one hit.
Keiji Mogami Arc
After the 7th Division of Claw was disbanded, Matsuo tried to make a living as a legitimate psychic. By coincidence, he ended up working alongside Reigen and Mob at the Asagiri mansion to cure Minori Asagiri. After witnessing the evil spirit Keiji Mogami, Matsuo decided he wanted him. He aided Dimple in bypassing Mogami's barrier to the mental world, and indirectly helped in Mogami's defeat. After Mogami was released from Asagiri's body, Matsuo captured him in a vial and named him "Pudding-chan."
World Domination Arc
Matsuo reappeared when Mob was fighting Minegishi. He dropped a sticker-covered container after getting punched and, despite his warnings, a Claw lackey opened the container and released Mogami, inadvertently leading to Minegishi's defeat.
Powers & Abilities
Matsuo is able to capture and control evil spirits. He captures them by weakening them with his existing spirits before sealing them in a vessel fed with his own power; they soon obey his every command. Matsuo carried a sticker-covered jar during the 7th Division arc which contained the majority of his spirit pets, and he would also release them individually from within film canisters. After the 7th Division arc he is seen to have traded the jar for a sticker-covered flask instead. He can also send his spirits some psychic energy in order to boost their strength in a pinch. Despite his impressive ability to control spirits, Dimple states that he in himself is a weak esper, since all his evil spirits return to him after attacking, likely for defense. This is proven true when he panics after Dimple prepares to attack him without the immediate protection of his evil spirits.
|Matsuo's Evil Spirits|
A quadruped with a large head filled with innumerable eyes and a gaping maw. Cookie-chan always would get excited when it saw stray spirits and would try to eat them all, gaining a new eye every time it fed. Apparently Matsuo would take it out every night for walks. It was exorcised by Mob.
A small eight-legged lizard-like spirit with skeletal teeth and four wings. It was a nimble flyer and could easily cut through flesh with its claws. It was exorcised by Mob.
A large cyclopean octopus spirit. Matsuo reckons it is a female as, when she finds a good looking guy, she sticks to him and gradually drains him of his life force until she comes back with a happy satisfied look. She was exorcised by Mob.
A large skeleton with spikes protruding out of its skull. Not much is known about this spirit, though Matsuo claimed it was powerful. It was exorcised by Mob.
A bulky humanoid spirit with multiple heads, multiple arms, a large face on its chest and a similar smaller face around it groin area. It constantly bleeds from every eye and mouth on its body. Candy-chan was the most powerful evil spirit from Matsuo's jar and is so reckless that it couldn't be let out with Matsuo's other spirits, lest they get eaten. It was exorcised by Reigen when he was 1000% Gratitude-powered.
A spirit resembling man's head on top of multiple spider-like legs. Because Matsuo hadn't used it in a while, it had grown old and become less effective.
A powerful spirit, in reality Keiji Mogami. Matsuo captured him after he was expelled from the body of Minori Asagiri, and he was later released by a careless Claw soldier. Unlike Matsuo's other captive spirits he retained his independence, likely due to his immense power.
- "How about you become my pet?"
- "You are the one who is looking down on me. Who told you I only keep two pets?"
- Matsuo means "devil, evil spirit" (魔) (ma), "haven, port, harbor, ferry" (津) (tsu) and "tail, ridge" (尾) (o).
Notes & Trivia
- Matsuo had another extremely powerful spirit he called "Marshmallow-chan", though he never get the chance to release it onscreen as Dimple emerged from his jar instead, having eaten all the other spirits within. It's also possible that Matsuo planned on naming Dimple himself "Marshmallow-chan", but Dimple resisted his control enough to not let this happen.
- Matsuo is seen with a new set of spirits when he appears to assist Mob. In the manga, these spirits were easily defeated by the artificial espers of Claw; however, in the anime, these spirits were annihilating them, but were defeated by Toshiki Minegishi.
- Matsuo's method of capturing spirits, by weakening them with his own creatures and then throwing a canister at them, is similar to the central idea of the Pokémon franchise.
- Matsuo has an incessant urge to capture powerful evil spirits whenever he sees one.
- If Matsuo focuses on one evil spirit too much, it makes the others jealous (and can lead to spirits cannibalising each other). Matsuo does not mind this though.